First things, first.

I’m on a mission from God. Now, before you frantically start left clicking your way back to Facebook or Twitter or any number of other sites you could be on, hear me out. I’m not on the kind of mission you may think. It’s not my intention to cram faith or Jesus down anyone’s throat here or in the novel I’m attempting to write. And I’m certainly not out to guilt anyone into a faith they're not interested in. What I am out to do is write a novel which will put people in contact with someone who can offer them hope and peace. With that said, I must warn you, this won’t be the last time you will see the “G” word.


What is the very first thing I’ve learned while slogging my way through the writing process?

IT’S HARD WORK PEOPLE! UNBELIEVABLY, STINKIN’, ROLLING AROUND ON THE FLOOR, SCREAMING, HARD WORK! Some would have you think the process is an easy one and if it isn't, you must be doing something wrong. Those who say it’s not difficult are usually the same writers who send out the first draft of their manuscript with no effort given to edits or revisions. They’re also the same writers who grouse when they receive rejection letter for what was "clearly the most perfect novel ever written." Obviously, they were the only one who thought perfection could be achieved through lack of commitment to their work.

I have found the writing process to be time consuming, bruising to the ego and just downright physically battering at times, but only when I'm doing it right. (This is not just my opinion, ask anyone who writes.) Yet, at the same time there’s something very fulfilling about withstanding the beatings I’m dished. Taking a character I have pulled from the hidden places of my imagination, applying their strengths and flaws to ink and fiber, and then looking on as they come into their full fruition, is a feeling unmatched. It’s this that drives me forward in spite of the thrashing I know awaits me on any given day.

I want to be a meticulous writer who continues to find fault with each word, paragraph and chapter until I can find fault no more. I gladly accept the fact that the road to the publishable novel will be a rough and exacting one, filled with revision after revision and edit after edit. Stephen King had several of his novels rejected before “Carrie” was published. I don’t understand why exactly, but knowing this gives me strength to step into the ring once again to take my beating and move forward-- one bloody, embattled word at a time.

Wish me luck folks; I’m going to need it.

Chrinda

Tune in next time when you’ll hear me ask no one in particular, “What do you mean by story elements?”

0 comments:

Post a Comment